Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I voted

campaign boundary

That was fun, but can we not do it again for a while? I'd like to watch something else on TV for a while, and I want to start respecting the people around me again. The most disappointing part of this election for me was hearing things from people that I know and like that made me wonder if worms were eating their brains.

"Obama is a secret Muslim!" Please, stop watching "The Manchurian Candidate".

"We had to go to Iraq because Saddam was working with Bin Laden! He had weapons of mass destruction!" Didn't Bush himself admit a while back that neither of those were true?

"Obama kills babies!" No, the Supreme Court said that was ok. Even if Obama was running on a pro-life ticket, abortion would still be legal for a while. The next president will probably be able to appoint a Supreme Court justice or two, but they'd still need a case to challenge Roe v. Wade, and to put it so simplisticly and emotionally makes you sound like you're voting with your uterus, not your brain.

"I can't vote for someone whose middle name is Hussein." I still don't know how to respond to this one. When it was said, I blinked for a minute, asked if they were serious, and then left the room. Nevermind that Hussein was a perfectly normal and acceptable name for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. Nevermind that Obama didn't get to pick his own name. Should I have stopped talking to my grandmother Eva because of Eva Braun? I asked later what he was supposed to do about this, and was told, "He should have changed his name." I don't know how to debate a mind that finds that logical.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who are sad this morning, several million in fact. I just want the whole thing to be over, so I can go back to liking the people around me.

No comments: