Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Oklahoma, OK!

I won! I won the state quarter game!

As you may or may not recall, this was the unhappy scene in my kitchen back in May:

the last one

I thought the last one I needed was New Mexico, but then I discovered that Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet was actually Oklahoma, state of unfilled quarter slots and broken dreams. "Oklahoma," I cried, hunched over my counter in grief, "Why do you hate me? Why can't you be more like whichever state that is with Helen Keller on it that I get all the time?"

Oklahoma, like Helen Keller before the day at the well, had no answer.

At long last, though, after getting a bagel for lunch today, the void in my life is filled:

Oklahoma? OK!

I've never been so happy to see a bird and a bunch of flowers in my life. I love you, Oklahoma. I love you.

No comments: