Thursday, September 8, 2011

Achievement

Like most people, I use the bathroom during the day.

Usually I do after lunch, but sometimes before. My schedule isn't really the important point here, though. Instead, I'm writing this to salute someone's achievement, to fling it out into cyberspace where it may or may not live forever, a lasting reminder to echo down the ages.

Someone is Ozymandias, King of kings, and wishes that you would look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair.

ozymandias

Not that Ozymandias. I was referencing the poem by Shelley, in response to the towering achievement that I witnessed today in the bathroom.

See, a few times a semester some poor custodian who makes minimum wage working all night after the offices have closed for the day spends hours scrubbing down the stalls in the men's rooms on my floor at work, removing all record of who's gay, who I should call for a good time, and what other names I can call the police, the president, rival athletic teams and schools, and the people who work at various offices around campus.

That time must have been fairly recent, because I noticed this inside the stall yesterday:

1st one

Congratulations, nameless Sharpee user.

I hope your accomplishment fills you with pride.

No comments: