Sunday, January 8, 2012

Office Space

As Jeannie mentioned yesterday, we opened the residence halls for spring this weekend, which means that I was in the office all day on Saturday and Sunday. If opening is going well, then things are pretty quiet up at the office, and things today didn't pick up until lunchtime.

It's kind of eerie walking around our building with no students. On regular weekends, there's usually someone else around, but classes haven't started yet so most of the professors aren't back either, and I noticed that I had the hallways completely to myself when I got hungry this morning and went to the vending machine in the basement. Intrigued by the odd sense of isolation, I took out my camera and starting snapping random photos, just to see what I would end up with.

communications basement

Have I mentioned that our building is curved? Because it is:

curved perspective

Based on these pictures it's also a little spooky in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.

vending interior

extinguisher cabinet

water fountain

going down

dead fly

rusty screws

thermostat

Maybe it was just the odd and total silence, but even everyday things look strange to me in these pictures.

running water and sink

It's probably a sign that I need to get outside next weekend.

2 comments:

Justin Bower said...

incredibly moody stuff, especially the fly, screws, and for some reason, the sink. Great shots as usual!

Erin said...

Awesome photos, Joel! Post-apocalyptic is my favorite genre of anything.