Friday, June 1, 2012

Pictures of May

Another month has come and gone, but I don't really have that many unposted pictures this time around. For most of May, I didn't get out much. I also had a pretty bad cold, and my parents came to visit, so I really didn't spend a lot of time wandering around taking pictures like I usually do, and I posted most of the ones I took when my parents were here.

There are some leftovers for the month, though:

1) The Treaty of Holston Park:

The Signing of the Treaty of the Holston

I didn't know that we had a statue or a park honoring the signing of the Treaty of Holston, but apparently we do. I also didn't know what the Treaty of Holston was, but wikipedia has informed me that it was a peace treaty between the Cherokee nation and the United States, signed by William Blount and later addended by Henry Knox.

For those from outside of Tennessee, they are both notable historical figures around town.

2) Rollin' on the River:

The Living and Learning Communities on campus celebrated the end of the year with a dinner cruise on the Star of Knoxville riverboat, and I was invited to attend. A sunset cruise on the river didn't really make for a lot of good photos, since the sunset was behind us and then it was just really dark, but I took a few photos.

I really liked the light in this one:

waiting area

And there's the riverboat, from the front deck:

star of knoxville

In looking at that photo, I realize now that I favor that particular angle/arrangement a lot, based on this random sampling of older pictures:

minarets

skyscrapers

3rd floor observation window

I'm sure there are more, but those are the three that popped into my head.

To wrap up the cruise, there was also a brief moment of horror:

blocked preservers

How are we supposed to get the life preservers out with all those chairs in the way?

No comments: