Sunday, April 14, 2013

What Does Wonder Woman Smell Like?

On Day 14 of 30 Days of Blogging, I'm not using a topic that anyone suggested. Instead, I'm going to spend a moment sharing the most insanely hilarious licensed superhero product I've ever seen, which I bought today for a dollar at the flea market with my parents:

wonder woman incense

Wonder Woman incense.

As you can see, it's INVIGORATING SPICE INCENSE, although the font that the "spice" is written in seems like the ones that are usually used more for evil than for good.

Seriously, though, what the hell is this?

When I think of DC superheroes that I would associate with incense, the following characters come to mind:

1) Brother Power, the rag doll owned by hippies that was brought to life by a lightning strike.

2) Raven, a member of the Teen Titans shown meditating with incense on multiple occasions.

3) Madame Xanadu, the fortune-telling sorceress who was often shown burning candles and incense around her crystal ball table.

4) The original version of Lilith Clay, a groovy telepathic redhead in miniskirts and go-go boots who hung with the Teen Titans for a while during their late 1960's-early 1970's incarnation. I don't remember her actually burning incense, but I've always been pretty sure that she smoked a little pot on occasion.

(I wasn't kidding on Day 2 of 30 Days of Blogging when I said my favorite superheroes were the unknowns and the D-listers.)

You know who doesn't spring to mind?

Wonder Woman. Maybe the depowered Diana Prince who ran a dress shop in the Village and beat up drag kings version, but even that seems a stretch.

It seems so unlike Wonder Woman, in fact, that I was sure that this was a bootleg, trademark-violating knockoff when I saw it today. Shockingly enough, though, it's not only an authorized and fully licensed product, but it is also considered hard to find, and sells for about five bucks.

I have no idea what it smells like, though, as I do not have an incense burner.

Should I get curious enough to try it using a soda can, as I have seen countless students do, I'll be sure to report back.

No comments: