Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Bang! Smash!

It was raining when I got up this morning, but I didn’t really think anything of it until I was walking toward my car and almost skated down the steps. Tentatively, I cleared the ice from my windows and checked the state of the parking lot, and the guy upstairs and I both felt like it was ok to leave. I figured I would just drive slowly and carefully, and everything would be fine.

Everything was not fine.

rear ended

The girl up in front started to skid, so she stopped dead in the middle of the road even though there was a church parking lot right there that she could turn into, and she proceeded to sit there with her flashers on. I came over there hill, but couldn’t get over because the other cars wouldn’t let me. I hit the same patch of ice and was about to skid into her when I angled to the right and ran my front wheel onto the curb. This stopped me from hitting her, but I couldn’t get off the curb until she moved her car, and she wouldn’t move her car, so I was stuck.

Then another car came over the hill. The cars in the other lane wouldn’t let her over, either, and she didn’t think to go for the curb like I did. Instead she tried to steer around me and stop at the same time, but she ended up smacking her passenger door into my back bumper instead.

more rear ending

The girl who hit me was really nice, and we traded insurance information. There were so many accidents this morning that the police said they weren’t coming since no one was hurt, so when the girl in front finally moved her car I drove away and the girl did, too. I turned around in the church lot and came home to assess the damage.

scrape and crack

The scrape and cracked light look like the only damage, but my insurance thinks they may just replace the whole bumper if that scrape won’t buff out. We’ll have to see how it goes when I take the car in to the dealer to get an estimate.

How’s everyone else’s day going?

1 comment:

nan said...

Gee, I thought *I* had a bad day - and then I read your post. When you were little, did you play the car game "punch bug?" If so, you'll understand my next comment: "blue crunch bug, no crunch-backs!" Sorry to read about the crash! And very glad you weren't hurt.