Sunday, October 9, 2016

Arizona

I spent Monday through Friday of last week in Arizona, for a conference. Since the conference had pretty solid blocks of activity every day, I didn't really get a lot of sightseeing in, so I don't have as many pictures as I normally would on a vacation trip. I saw a lot of friends and colleagues, though, had a really good time, and brought back some good ideas.

Our trip started before dawn on Monday, when I dressed in a shirt that I got on clearance at Kroger:

Scottsdale

It was on clearance because the score printed on it is wrong. I wore it all day, and even though several people commented on it and talked about the game, no one noticed that mistake.

Dawn came while we were on the plane:

Scottsdale

but it wasn't the only thing. The flight attendant brought me a stroopwafel, a strangely sweet cookie that I'd never had before. After reading the ingredients, I gingerly tasted it, and then immediately devoured it.

I also spilled my ginger ale on the plane, and helplessly blurted to the (attractive) flight attendant, "I SPILLED!" as if I am a toddler. I'm sure he noted and was impressed by my highly articulate vocabulary. I'm still not sure how it happened, as I was reading, sipping, reaching for my cup, and then all of a sudden ginger ale and ice in the aisle.

They left the cubes there to melt.

Once the plane landed, we knew we were on limited time and pretty much only had Monday afternoon free, so we dropped our bags and took a car to historic Old Town Scottsdale:

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

That last one was inscribed on a bus stop, of all places. While in Old Town walking around we did some shopping, poking into a lot of touristy stores filled with touristy crap:

Scottsdale

Nothing says "America" like a fringed leather bag made out of our flag. Even better, I saw the same bag in multiple stores.

We also got some food. I had some delicious chorizo and jalapeno corn cakes at the Daily Dose:

Scottsdale

and I have to say that I ate more chorizo last week than I have at any other time in my life. If I was ordering anything and it had a chorizo option, by God, I got the chorizo. All of it was very good, as was the Golden Nugget that I got at the Sugar Bowl, a charmingly pink ice cream parlor that looked kind of like a soda fountain counter in Barbie's dream house:

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

I was less pleased with the Meat and Potatoes Martini that I got at Cowboy Ciao later in the week:

Scottsdale

The deep fried bacon was delicious, but the cocktail itself had a strong, almost sour taste. The mac and cheese I had with it was wonderful, though.

Other than that one day of sightseeing, the only scenery I saw on the rest of the trip was when I went for walks:

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

Scottsdale

but that's ok. I was there for work, not for sightseeing.

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

Back when I was a flight attendant, we overnighted in Scottsdale, and I fell in love with it! Some of the things I remember most vividly: A hedge of rosemary running the length of a two-lane highway, with the hot sun beating down on it and making the entire area smell like an Italian restaurant. The huge fountain in the middle of the crossroads with life-size bronze horses leaping in the water. Lovely artisan shops all along the roads, with pottery and weaving and neat stuff...

Loved your photos!