Saturday, October 7, 2017

All the things I saw in Atlanta

I'll be leaving Atlanta in the morning, having survived a harrowing five minute ordeal of near death elevator riding, and since it's unlikely that I will see more sights before then, I will do a quick rundown of the things that I did see.

I didn't do much sightseeing on this trip, since the conference schedule was pretty tight, but a friend and I did walk down to the Centennial Olympic Park one free morning, since it was only a half mile from our hotel. There, we saw the Olympic fountain:

Atlanta 2017

the Ferris wheel that Atlanta has for some unknown reason, despite not having a scenic skyline or any major landmarks that need to be seen from the air:

Atlanta 2017

Atlanta 2017

the College Football Hall of Fame:

Atlanta 2017

the World of Coke, which is a museum of Coca Cola:

Atlanta 2017

and includes a statue of Coke's inventor:

Atlanta 2017

and a statue that I thought was interesting:

Atlanta 2017

Atlanta 2017

but also vaguely unsettling.

Later that day, after lunch, we took my friend Lauren to see the Marriot, which I've stayed in and which you might recognize as the tribute training center from the "Hunger Games" movies:

Atlanta 2017

On Tuesday night we went to a dinner where the chicken had bones in it:

Atlanta 2017

and I ate it anyway even though food with bones in it is a struggle for me.

On Wednesday the conference wrapped up in mid-afternoon. They organized some groups to go to the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke, but I didn't want to go to either of those things since I've been to both, and my friend Andrea and I went to the Center for Civil And Human Rights instead.

Atlanta 2017

Atlanta 2017

Atlanta 2017

It was a moving, powerful afternoon, and I think our time was much better spent there than if we'd gone to the soda museum next door.

On Thursday morning I drove over to my friend Sandy's house, where I've been ever since. We've run around to antique stores and restaurants and gone on errands, but haven't really done a lot of sightseeing, unless you count the things in Sandy's neighborhood that PokemonGo tells me are sights, like the Morris Farmhouse Ruins:

Milton, GA

Milton, GA

and the Field View Meeting Shelter:

Milton, GA

Milton, GA

Oh, and I also saw this mailbox shaped like a cat:

Cat mailbox

which I think the tail broke off of.

This wasn't really a sightseeing trip, but I'm glad I got out to see something, and to catch up with so many friends.

No comments: