Sunday, October 19, 2014

California Sunset

closed amenities

I knew, all along, that this day would come. The sun has set:

California sunset

on my time off. The shops have closed:

closed shop

the volleyball courts are empty:

empty courts

and I got on a plane and flew home.

The weird thing, though, is that I don't miss California. I'm not saying I didn't like it, because I did. I had some good food (one salad was so delicious that I got almost to the bottom of the bowl before I realized that there were green onions in it), and I got to walk a lot on a nice, paved path on the beach. Walking along the ocean in the morning was so soothing that I didn't use my iPod at all, instead just listening to the waves, and in the evening I got to listen to the waves and to the drone of traffic on the Pacific Coast Highway on the other side. It was like walking in a cocoon of white noise, and the temperature was beautiful as long as I walked at dawn or dusk.

I'm under no illusions that I saw the real California, though. One of my friends said that I should get a job out there, so I could live by the beach all the time, but I work in higher education. If I got a job out there, it wouldn't pay enough to live in this version of California:

spitting fountains

but it was nice to visit. I think that every time I visit California.

And then I always come home.

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

Dorothy said it - There's no place like home.