Friday, July 30, 2010

Thursday Night Mini-Adventure

Last night, Kristin and I decided we needed to get out of town for a couple hours to escape work and blow off steam before we went to the hospital for ICU visiting hours, which are oddly scheduled from 9 to 10 PM. I drove over to meet her at her car, but she was running late, so I walked around the parking garage for a few minutes, taking random photos:

blue light

cable railing

air

I really like this one, part of my ongoing black and white project:

parking garage lights

After Kristin got there, we headed out to Pigeon Forge, so that she could pick up a gift certificate for the indoor skydiving place for someone's birthday. I have no interest in indoor skydiving, but there was a love machine in the lobby that seemed kind of interested in me:

sexy light

Sexy, you say? Me? Hmmmm... maybe I won't die alone (in the rain, as I've always suspected that I will) after all.

After we picked up the gift certificate, Kristin decided we should stop at Mel's Diner for dinner. They have a pretty extensive menu for a vintage, tiny sized aluminum trailer-style diner, with many of the dishes named after famous people:

bette, sans joan

Once I saw the Bette Davis BLT, I was compelled by the knowledge of their legendary Hollywood feud to check the rest of the menu for a Joan Crawford dish, and discovered that there isn't one. No penne in vodka sauce or viciously slapped chicken, but the diner did serve Pepsi Cola, so maybe this particular matchup is a tie.

Or maybe somewhere up in movie heaven, Bette is enjoying a good, cigarette-raspy chuckle, especially after Kristin ordered her BLT.

Lacking a Joan dish, I instead ordered the fried bologna and cheese sandwich, with mustard:

fried bologna and cheese sandwich

and fries. It was crispy and melty and really, really good, and then, on the way home, this happened:

kristin, with gorilla

No matter how sad or tired or stressed I am, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg always find a way to make me smile.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

i have been reading through your blogs all night because you yelled at me for not reading them and I had no idea how many of them mention me. I thought you didn't care, especially after I held up super boy one weekend so you could take pictures of him. I heart you!!!!!