Saturday, November 3, 2007

photos and statuary

Yesterday I took a picture inside the old courthouse because I liked the way the ceiling and the lights looked.

courthouse interior

I really like the way the light coming through the windows continues directly down the line of the windows themselves. I liked it even more when I converted it to black and white:

black and white courthouse interior

I’m mostly just a point and click type of photographer, but every once in a while doing that happens to catch something that looks pretty good.

I’m kind of curious about that covered window in the ceiling, though. Was that a skylight?

Other curious things I saw yesterday on my trip downtown included this statue:

justice

The plaque says it’s a “lady of justice”, but since it’s not blindfolded it can’t be Justice herself, so who is it? I’m not an expert in Greco-Roman mythology, but I took a course in it in junior high and I’ve read years of Wonder Woman comics, and I don’t remember Justice having any ladies in waiting. I’ve heard the figure of speech “handmaiden of Justice”, though, so I guess she might be one of them?

No comments: