Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Breast Cancer

Did you know that I helped cure cancer? No, really, I did.

On Saturday I walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, to support my mom, my friend Rod's mom, my friend Kim's mom, and a whole bunch of other people who survived breast cancer and a few who did not. I raised $407 in pledges, which is more than my entire team raised combined, and I managed not to come in last in the race, either, which is probably the more impressive achievement.

Not that my time for 5 kilometers was anything close to spectacular:

1:27:05

but I was in the walking portion with Jeannie, and she was pushing a baby stroller for most of the way. We had lots of company, though:

racers assembling

balloon arch

up locust

The race started pretty early, with Jeannie and I arriving a little bit late since she was driving. We missed the start for the runners, but we were lined up in the crowd in time for the walkers. I've never taken part in anything like this before, but for once my "Oh my God, crowd! People are touching me!" flight instinct did not kick in, probably because the energy was overwhelmingly positive. It was pretty cold and horribly early, but everyone was smiling and cheering and all decked out in pink, and I got the sense that we really were part of a larger movement.

Other than the racers, there were also hundreds of community members out being supportive and cheering us on, something I hadn't expected. There were bands:

corner band

and crowds:

cheering children

and cheerleaders:

supportive cheerleaders

and whatever these guys were supposed to be:

obscure mascots

as well as a bunch of other supporters. The local paper estimates that between racers and the crowds along the route there were 15,000 people who got out of bed early on a Saturday to fight breast cancer. All I know is that after not just one:

1 mile marker

or two:

2 mile marker

or but a little over three miles:

3 mile marker

I felt really good:

number 10489

and I didn't even break a sweat.

Mostly because we were walking so slow, but hey, it was for a good cause, and it gave me a reason to buy a pink headband.

3 comments:

Skald said...

Good on you Joel :) I missed out on the cancer walk this year due to work, but I hope to do it next year.

Rod said...

Awesome!

Liz said...

You look sweet in pink!